Saturday 25 February 2012

Maybe, You Were Not Ignored...

Olukayode: I've been mentioning your handle on twitter, but you've not been replying. You won't tell me you've not been on twitter because; I've been seeing your tweets. If not that I know you, I would've said you’ve been ignoring me or ... I don't know what to say…

Chioma: Are you sure you've been mentioning me? I go through my mentions regularly, but I've never seen any of your tweets. Are you sure you spelt my Handle well?

Olukayode: of course, I’ve been mentioning you. How can I miss the spelling of your handle, is it not @chyoma0023? …



Have you ever mentioned someone on twitter, and spent countless hours expecting their reply (when you know they have few followers) only to be seeing their tweets on your timeline, but no reply to yours? If so, your case may be the same with that of Olukayode and Chioma.

When they met each other, she saw that he was not lying, as a matter of fact; she saw the tweets on his profile page as well as her handle well written. Then the big question, why weren't the tweets showing in her mentions? That's the basis of this post.

They made so many conclusions which didn't help. They later realised that he was typing without giving any space between the handle and other words. That was exactly why she wasn't getting the tweets.

So many people on twitter have this same issue to sort out. In certain cases, the two parties end up not finding out what really happened but go on believing they were being ignored.

Here are things to note while typing your tweets so they can get to whoever you mentioned.

* Whenever you want to mention someone's handle, make sure you give at least a space between the sides of the handle. Here's an example, the first example will be delivered to whoever you mentioned while the second won't.
Eg. 1. What was the score of Madrid's game last night @Realmadrid @Rmadridinfo

Eg. 2. Where can I download some movies online?@Ebaykalu@d_uche

In the first example, there're spaces between the first handle (@Realmadrid) and the word before it (night) and the handle (@Rmadridinfo) after it. In the second example, there are no such spaces. So, @Ebaykalu and @d_uche may never answer the question because it won't be appear on their mentions. They can only see it by accident on their TL if they are following you and were online when you tweeted but it won’t be on their mentions.

* Another case occurs in situations where a tweep is tweeting more than 140 words.
Certain twitter clients like twitlonger, writelonger, tmi.me, tweete.net, etc enables more than 140 words on twitter. But as the case maybe, after the 140 mark, the rest of the tweet can only be viewed by a link. Only the first 140 would be visible to your followers and only twitter handles that appeared on the first 140 would be delivered to the mentions of the tweeps you mentioned. So, if you are tweeting more than 140 or you don’t know if it will pass 140 or not, start the tweet with the handle you are tweeting.

So don’t be surprised when you tweet more than 140 words and no one replies - it’s because, they never knew you mentioned them.
In recent times, during chat on twitter with some of my tweeps, I wait for long without getting any reply only to go to their profile and see that they replied but realized that my handle was either typed without being spaced from other words (eg. I will be around@Elexharry) or the tweet was more than 140 words with my handle among the words that came after 140.
So to enjoy your twitter experience the more and get your message across to whomever you have in mind, it’s good to always learn to do it the right way so as to get the intended results.

Tweet Right!
@Elexharry

No comments:

Post a Comment